An apple a day keeps the doctor away it’s true, especially if you have good aim of course. And as we approach a fave week of celebration for me (National Laughter Week, July 12-18th and, unfairly, a serious back-seater in the holiday line-up rankings), I’ve been called upon to shed a little light on the subject.
Why should you care about National Laughter Week, and why is this important to you??
Well, Mr. & Mrs. Grumpy Shorts, it’ll make you a better person! Healthier, Leaner, Wealthier, Greener. Soooo, Sunshine, keep your peepers right here and I can give you the facts, Jack.
- Fact: Laughter Boosts the Immune System. It decreases stress hormones while increasing immune-cell function and infection-butt-kicking antibodies, thus improving your army of disease resistance.
- Fact: Laughter Protects the Heart. It improves blood vessel function (so your streets are clear, you know what I’m sayin’??) and increase blood flow, which can help prevent the ole’ ticker from coming to a screeching halt, as well as other cardiovascular problems I don’t much want to deal with.
- Fact: Laughter Relaxes the Whole Body. A good, hearty laugh relieves tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after. Much like you-know-what…. I was referring to stretching. Geez, please get your mind out of the gutter. I’m blushing and feel a wee violated with your filthy ideas.
- Fact: Laughter Triggers the Release of Endorphins. Dr. Feelgood Chemicals from the brain, not from the sinister looking guy on the street corner. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and even temporarily relieve pain. They fight depression, and depression often leads to emotional and over-eating. Making you… well, not usually skinny… Plus a serious laugh also burns calories. Much like…. Stretching! Again! You! With the dirty mind!
- Fact: Laughter Attracts Others to You. And if you’re in business, you’re looking to attract. Marketing 101: People do business with those they know, like, and trust. Some MBA Course Info: Humans are also naturally drawn to those that emanate Health (including being Lean and Fit) and Longevity. It’s the primal instinct in us to seek the Alphas. We’re also social creatures, and our brains are hard-wired to make connections with one another. Laughter really is contagious – just hearing laughter primes the brain and readies you to smile and begin to laugh yourself.
- Fact: There’s enough bad ju-ju in this world. Please stop mucking up the mojo anymore with your frown. Plus you’re getting wrinkles and balding pre-maturely for it. (Yes, even you ladies.) Stress and temperament pollute your body the same way gunk n junk are polluting our streams and oceans. It is all deeply connected, and I urge you to put a lot more laughter and happiness onto the planet for the time you’re here.
Sounds good, right?!?! What I need you to do now is celebrate with me, for reals! Smile, laugh, notice the humor and good feelings in the everyday situations, tell a friend… I’ve based my entire life and career on laughter, and look how fantastic and fit I am. I just did a cartwheel. I know you couldn’t see it, duh, but I did one for you anyways. Now go find the person who makes you laugh the most and give them a big high-five from me. Pass on the love, and remember to Laugh More.
is a Writer, Artist, Mom, and Founder of The Painted LaughTM Art Studio & Gallery, where she paints children’s laughter as Modern Art. She lives a life that does not suck, happily raising her young son and jumping on the backyard trampoline with him almost every day. She laughs a lot and has been known to drink too much Peach Sangria, which in her defense is truly delicious and has a way of sneaking up on people.
She invented it.