On this week’s show we hosted experts from the telehealth platform, Alii Healthcare. Dr. Sylvan Waller, Founder/CEO of Alii Healthcare, Dr. Reginald Nesbitt, Christie Sherman, RN, and Alii client, Jennifer Smith joined us to talk about how the technology solution works. They have created a mobile app called, “Bond”, which uses a mobile device’s camera to allow a patient to engage face-to-face with an ER physician to determine best course of action with minor, but time-sensitive complaints.
Sylvan shared how today, the average wait time for patients to be seen by a doctor from time of request for appointment is as much as 18 days. We also talked about the fact that it is not uncommon for less acute complaints such as respiratory infections, minor cuts, sprains, etc, to wait in an ER for 2-4 hours (or more).
Having been an ER physician for a number of years, he saw first hand how these patients can become dissatisfied with their experience due to the fact that they’ve had to wait so long before being seen. He felt there must be a better way.
He and his partners set out to take advantage of telehealth technology to create an application that uses a mobile device’s camera to allow a patient to request to speak with a physician, and within seconds or a few minutes at most, they can “Facetime” with a qualified ER physician. Using the mobile device’s camera, the doctor can view a patient’s throat, swollen ankle, minor cut, etc. From there he/she can make recommendations for medical prescriptions or treatments, or recommend the patient is seen in an urgent care or ER.
The team brought with them, Alii Healthcare client, Jennifer Smith. She talked about her experiences using the Bond app to get diagnosis and prescriptions for minor injuries suffered while running and a respiratory infection.
Jennifer talked about how intuitive the application’s interface is and how quickly she was able to speak directly with a physician without having to leave her home.
Dr. Sylvan Waller, MD, CEO/Founder of Alii Healthcare
- Doctor of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine
- Residency, Emergency Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine
- Former Assistant Professor, Emory University School of Medicine
- Previous Entrepreneur-in-Residence, ATDC
Dr. Reginald Nesbitt, MD, President, Bond House
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Texas, Galvaston
- Residency, ER, University of Chicago Hospitals
- Board Certified, Emergency Medicine
Christie Sherman, RN, Director of Physician Engagement, Alii Healthcare
- RN Diploma, George Brown College
- BSN, University of Phoenix
- MSN, Nursing Science, University of Phoenix
- Previous VP of Client Operations, Schumacher Group
Jennifer Smith, Alii Healthcare client
- Juris Doctor, Georgia State University College of Law
- Previous Director of Reimbursement, Resurgens Orthopedics
- Senior Associate, Ken David & Associates LLP