North Fulton Business Radio, Episode 692)
Greg Silberman, Managing Director of S.J. Gorowitz Accounting & Tax Services, joined host John Ray to talk about his company’s unique approach to business consultancy, their ability to offer consolidated tax strategy, filing, and CFO services, renewable energy tax credits, some estate planning tips, and much more.
S.J. Gorowitz Accounting & Tax Services
S.J. Gorowitz Accounting & Tax Services is a boutique CPA firm that supports expanding and emerging businesses and their owners with a consultative, inclusive approach to accounting, business advisory, tax, trust, and estate services. They work one-on-one with clients to produce accurate financials, minimize taxes and ensure compliance. Their tailored accounting solutions and financially focused business consulting spans industries including manufacturing, professional services, real estate and technology.
The company is guided by the highest standards of integrity, authority, and commitment to client service excellence. Clients trust them for reliable knowledge that considers industry nuances, the economic climate, and their unique business goals.
A seasoned Certified Public Accountant with extensive knowledge of accounting, tax planning and preparation, investments, private equity and M&A, Gregory Silberman leverages his international expertise in the exclusive service of high-net-worth individuals and growing small businesses. He brings more than 20 years of global financial experience in Europe, Asia, and North America to the position.
Silberman developed an overarching commitment to quality service during his diversified career which included stints in public accounting at Grant Thornton (Johannesburg, SA); derivative accounting for JPMorgan Chase & Company (London, UK); and management consulting with Atlanta Gas Light and NASCO (Atlanta, Ga, USA).
Nearly a decade ago, he established CJ Tag LLC to provide complex accounting, tax, and business services to high-net-worth individuals. Additionally, the firm offered fractional CFO services and investment guidance to corporate clients in a wide range of industries and markets.
Previously Silberman was the Chief Investment Officer at ACG Investment Management. He was responsible for managing the firm’s private equity, hedge fund and real assets investment portfolio.
Prior to joining ACG Investment Management, Greg served as Director of Alternative Investments at Wilmington Trust. He was responsible for managing more than $2 billion in private equity, hedge fund, and real estate assets, and was instrumental in the launch of a successful alternative mutual fund. Silberman also managed more than $80 billion as a member of the research team. He was a portfolio manager, analyst, and product developer for Perpetual Investments in Sydney and JP Morgan Chase in London with a focus on structured derivative products.
Silberman earned a Bachelor of Accounting from the University of Witwatersrand and subsequently passed the South African Accountant’s and Auditor’s Board Exam, the Australian Chartered Accountant’s Exam and the Uniform CPA Examination. In addition, Silberman is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) and a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA®).
When not spending time with his three daughters, Greg follows UFC and is always ready to cheer for the Springboks Rugby team.
Affiliations and Associations:
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Georgia Society of CPAs
Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst Institute
CFA Institute and CFA Society of Atlanta
Kaplan Schweser, CFA review course
South African Institute of Chartered Accountants
Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta, Investment Committee (former chairman)
Solomon Schechter Epstein School, Investment and Finance Committee (former member)
Ariel Synagogue (former treasurer)
Questions and Topics in this Interview:
- What services does SJG offer? How do you cater to the needs of your clients?
- How does your firm help clients navigate through the complexities of tax preparation and planning?
- Beyond tax-related services, what other financial areas does your CPA firm specialize in? Could you elaborate on financial consulting or advisory services you provide?
- As technology advances, how has your firm embraced digital solutions for services like bookkeeping and financial reporting?
Inflation Reduction Act of 2022
- Could you give our listeners a clear picture of what renewable energy entails and why it’s gaining so much attention?
- How do these incentives work, and what benefits do businesses stand to gain?
- The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 offers tax incentives for businesses to adopt renewable energy.
- Could you share examples of how different businesses are integrating renewable energy into their operations?
- Beyond the financial incentives, how does embracing renewable energy contribute to environmental sustainability?
- While the incentives are promising, are there any challenges businesses might face when transitioning to renewable energy?
- What advice would you give to businesses that are considering adopting renewable energy but are unsure where to start?
- Can you explain the concept of portability and how it can be utilized in estate planning?
- Could you elaborate on the increase in the lifetime gift and estate tax exemption for 2023?
- Could you explain the concept of the annual gift tax exclusion and what it means for taxpayers?
- What happens if someone decides to gift more than the annual exclusion amount to an individual recipient?
North Fulton Business Radio is hosted by John Ray and broadcast and produced from the North Fulton studio of Business RadioX® inside Renasant Bank in Alpharetta. You can find the full archive of shows by following this link. The show is available on all the major podcast apps, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, Amazon, iHeart Radio, Stitcher, TuneIn, and others.
Renasant Bank has humble roots, starting in 1904 as a $100,000 bank in a Lee County, Mississippi, bakery. Since then, Renasant has become one of the Southeast’s strongest financial institutions with over $13 billion in assets and more than 190 banking, lending, wealth management, and financial services offices in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. All of Renasant’s success stems from each of their banker’s commitment to investing in their communities as a way of better understanding the people they serve. At Renasant Bank, they understand you because they work and live alongside you every day.
Since 2000, Office Angels® has been restoring joy to the life of small business owners, enabling them to focus on what they do best. At the same time, we honor and support at-home experts who wish to continue working on an as-needed basis. Not a temp firm or a placement service, Office Angels matches a business owner’s support needs with Angels who have the talent and experience necessary to handle work that is essential to creating and maintaining a successful small business. Need help with administrative tasks, bookkeeping, marketing, presentations, workshops, speaking engagements, and more? Visit us at https://officeangels.us/.